I was in an AccessMigration to SQL Server and i needed to open an Access97 database with security (using a system.mdw file).
It took me a while to do, but it is possible to open an Access97 Database in Access2010.
I really thing that it is a little obscure. But these are the steps:
1. First open Access2010
2. After Opening Access2010, press Ctrl + G. That will open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
3. On the Immediate Window run this command (to run it just time the command and press Enter): DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdWorkgroupAdministrator
4. Once you run this command you will see a dialog with a title of Workgroup Administrator, press the Join Button
5. When you press the join Button a Dialog with Title Workgroup Information File will prompt Click Browse and find your System.mdw file and press OK. And press Ok on the Workgroup Administrator Dialog
6. Now close Access 2010
7. Open Windows explorer. Find your .mdb file and double click it. Access2010 will prompt for user/password and then will upgrade your database.